Huskies Keeping an Eye on Dobbs

by Mike Grant on February 7, 2011

in UConn Football,UConn Football Recruits

Dobbs is heading to Milford Academy

Ansonia High School’s Montrell Dobbs, who was named the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Player of the Year, will prep next season at Milford Academy (New Berlin, NY).  Dobbs rushed 406 times for 3,445 yards and scored 45 touchdowns last season, while leading the Chargers to the State Championship game vs St. Joseph’s.

Dobbs was a Walter Camp Player of the Year finalist and was named both the New Haven Register’s and Naugatuck Valley League’s Player of the Year.  His 3,445 rushing yards were the second highest single season total in state history.

With the Huskies heading into the 2011 season with three senior tailbacks, UConn will most certainly be looking to bring in one or more backs in the class of 2012.  Dobbs could be the horse the Huskies are looking for.  This past season he had 30 carries or more in eight games, including a 50 carry game vs rival Derby, and a 52 carry performance in the State Championship.   He rushed for over 300 yards in seven of Ansonia’s 13 games.

Despite all the accolades and accomplishments, Dobbs remains humble.  Following his 363 yard, five touchdown performance vs Montville in the State Semi-Final, Dobbs credited his offensive line with his success.  ”Our line has been tremendous all season.  Every thing that I do, every stat that I have , I owe to my line.”

Milford Academy Head Coach Bill Chaplik, who is also an Ansonia native,  is excited to have Dobbs. “I think he’s a 1A running back all the way.  We’ve had great success with running backs here at Milford and I think Montrell will continue in that great tradition.   He’s a north-south runner, and that’s what we’re looking for here at Milford.  We’ve had LeSean McCoy,  Shonn Greene and Marcel Shipp here, we’re looking forward to having Montrell.”

UConn Head Coach Paul Pasqualoni met Dobbs at the Connecticut High School Coaches Awards banquet, where he handed Dobbs the CHSCA Player of the Year Award.  Pasqualoni told Dobbs he’d be checking with Chaplik throughout the year to monitor his progress.

Chaplik thinks UConn hit a home run with the Pasqualoni hire.

“I think UConn made the best hire in the country.  Pasqualoni is a class guy, a man of his word.  When he says the door is open to High School coaches, he means it.  I know that if we send a kid to play for him, we know that Paul will make sure that player does well in the classroom, and we know that player will have a chance to play and achieve their goals and dreams.  Having guys like Paul and George DeLeone back in college football is great for the game.  We need to keep guys like these in college, not lose them to the NFL.  I think Pasqualoni will take UConn to the next level.  I’m extremely excited about what this means for UConn and for Connecticut.  I played at BC, but I’m a Connecticut guy.  That’s my home state.”

Dobbs is expected to be on hand at UConn’s annual Blue/White scrimmage game at Rentschler Field in April, and currently has UConn at the top of his list.

Highlights of Dobbs’ 363 yard, five touchdown performance vs Montville in the State Semi-Final :

No related posts.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Fan February 7, 2011 at 9:48 am

This is an excellent move for the UCONN program because Montrell Dobbs has a great deal of Talent, Character, and potential…. Its nice to have area talent get recognized. I believe Montrell is a player with a big upside… Way to go Uconn…

CT February 7, 2011 at 10:04 am

Absolutely a great move by Uconn. Dobbs is a excellent young man, and has great character! Dobbs has to go to M.A. and handle his business in the classroom, which Milford has a great outfit up far north of upstate NY. Where student-athletes can get full concentration on grades and football, without the discrations. We all know what Dobbs can do on the gridiron. This is a great move for Uconn, and a great opportunity for Dobbs! He will compete in the big east no question!

Ct high school football fan February 7, 2011 at 11:26 am

Would be great to see the CT. Guys play at Uconn. Max delorenzo Berlin, Avon olds farm TE Mcquillan, 2011. Now class of 2012 doors are wide open for prospects like RB ansonia Montrell Dobbs, QB mask Casey Cochran, OLB Kyle Matakevich St. Joseph, OL 6 3″ 285 Aron Echevarria Naugatuck, CB/ATH Ruben Berger. All CT. Kids who can play D1a football. The Rent can start filling up when the good ones from Ct start attending Uconn. High school football is big in CT. It will bring out all the football fans.

Dylan Clark February 7, 2011 at 12:21 pm

What UConn needs is to step up and sign QB Casey Cochran. As someone who played against him in high school, i can say he is the best quarterback I've ever seen play, and he was only a sophomore then. Word was that has had a deal in place with BC for a while now but I'm not sure how true it is. UConn needs to keep its in state talent exactly that and get it's recruiting in gear

Lisa February 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I look forward to buying season tickets when dobbs get there! Great move UCONN!!

Joe M February 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Dobbs has incredible moves and toughness. He is fast with the ball in his hands. seldom fumbles—- I cannot wait to see this kid once he gets on a Div 1 training program. If he hits the weights properly his potential will soar. Good job UCONN. Be careful not to lose him because I heard Syracuse, Pitt and Temple are after him…..

guest February 8, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Dobbs would be a very good get for UConn. He was the best back without doubt in the state this past year. He has good power, speed and is elusive.

junior February 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Dodds would be great for uconn. i just hope uconn looks at the players up front that got him those yards. there is a couple of big lineman down there at A-TOWN

Ct high school football fan February 11, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I think Dobbs has what it takes to play at the next level! Dobbs has incredible up field vision, and makes instant moves right from the line of scrimmage. Dobbs will be on a D1 weight program, and that will increase his power, speed, and agility. Dobbs has a chance to be the next great RB at Uconn!

H.S. Observer April 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Great move. Mr. Dobbs has incredible toughness and learned fom his geometrycourse that
the shortest distance between two points – is a straight line. he is the real thing.